Monday, January 03, 2005

A religious exchange...

It was really strange...

I went to visit Peter's church and guess what? It's a Catholic Church and they only speak Bangla!!! Oh man.... I took it as a sort of learning experience... But seriously, I couldn't quite tell the difference between this church and any other religious gathering. Ok, so the building is really nice... It's called the Lady Rosary Church and it has the nativity scene on the outside of the main building... They have pictures of Jesus' resurrection and Noah's ark...

But then, it just looks... Religious... With a huge Jesus' on the cross at the front, with an equally large necklace surrounding the whole thing... The priest seems all high and mighty and powerful with the weird garb... He bows before taking out the holy bread, and he commands when everyone sits, stands, eats bread and all that sort of thing. No one was holding a bible at all, and the worship is... routine... Maybe cos it just sounds like Indian music to me... I dunno, with all that religious rituals, it almost reminded me of the Buddhist rituals and what not... That gave me the creeps...

When I thought about that, God reminded me that I was a sinner... Just like them... No difference... And they were all looking for Him and to Him... The way I was... Guess I should start to be a bit more humble....

There's one thing though... I remembered looking at the grave yard and I saw the grave of a very prominent Father... He wasn't a Bangladeshi... Came to Dhaka in 1933 to be a Father, and died here in 1988... As I looked at his grave, thinking over his 55years here in Dhaka... I wondered what he came here for... What had he hoped to see or achieve? Was he hoping to see a revival of the Church here? What kind of resistance and opposition did he face? And did he die seeing what he came for? Or did he die having regrets? Wondered if he would be happy with what things are today...

I really pray that God will start a revival here in Bangladesh...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home