Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Goethe Institut

So much for having a slow night...

As soon as I finished that blog about the field day... I had another little adventure... Shalini came and asked me to go for an exhibition with her...

It was an exhibition of a few photography students who had taken part in a workshop conducted by a very famous female photographer... I can't remember her name right now... I was keen to go because I knew some of the photographers... One was Nazrul, the other was Prince... I especially wanted to see Prince's work because Jess & I had helped to edit his copy...

The exhibition was at the Goethe Institut... Just for information sake, the Lonely Planet book is wrong... At least the 2000 version that I have... In the book, Goethe Institut is in actual fact... Rifles Square... A FAMOUS LANDMARK! Such a terrible mistake! I found out because I was trying to locate Rifles from the map and found Goethe Institut in it's place... On top of that, Atiq mentioned that Goethe was not even near there... It was much nearer to Pathshala...

Now I even know where Goethe Institut is... Cos we walked there from Pathshala... It's just further south of Mirpur Road... "Take that! Lonely Planet!"

The exhibition hall (room actually) is very nice! When we arrived, the person who's in charge of Goethe was giving a speech... Then afterwards, our Big Boss gave a speech... When that was done, we got to see the pictures...

Seriously, I think most of them need some form of copy editting... The English was really really bad! It's the translators' fault... The photographers wrote their copy in Bengali and got it translated... Good grief! I think it might have spoilt the effect of the pictures...

I like the pictures though... They were very well taken... Whether or not the pictures told the story and whether the copy fitted together is another thing altogether... I think Shyam(my sup) would have told them to go reshoot or choose other pictures to make it go with the story... But they(the photographers) did everything themselves and even managed to fit their stories into the theme of "Resistance"...

I was very proud of them... =)

And for a final note, I really like the rooftop of the Goethe Institut. That's where they were serving refreshments after the exhibition... It was very breezy and nice... Like Arabella said... It's very surreal... (Arabella is one of the two new ladies who have come to Pathshala... She's the one with the assignment... The other one is Diya, the assistant-with-a-mouth-piercing...)

And so with tea(as usual) and cookies, we concluded that trip to the exhibition at Goethe Institut...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home