Thursday, April 28, 2005

Tribute To The Pranksters...

Lately I've been getting some rather amusing calls and smses on my Dhaka number... No... Actually it's just one amusing call... I get more amusing smses... Haha!

It all started during the new year... I was out with Jess, Darren, Topu, Danny & all their friends... Suddenly I got a call...

"Hi, this is... (Couldn't catch the name. Anyway, that's not important.) Is this Gwen?"
"Yes. Where do I know you from?"
"I got your number from Islam."
"Islam?"

(Who on earth is Islam? I thought that was a religion! The question must have caught the guy offguard and that was the first word he could come up with... Not smooth, not smooth...)

"Yes, you know Islam?"
"You mean Insan?"

(Insan is a rather egotistical photographer who has had his work up on the walls of Cafe Mango for months, apparently as a critique of Chobi Mela. But they are so incoherent that no one has any idea what his point is. Besides that, he has several self portraits in the mix... And that's plain creepy. So if it were him that the guy on the phone was talking about, everyone would know where to find him. I had a name card. Then I realized I was always smart enough not to give Insan my number.)

"No, Islam."

(Oh well.)

The rest of the conversation involved getting the weird guy to talk to every single one of my guy friends just to scare him off, and find out what he wanted from me... Apparently, he needed to meet up with me and talk about something personal... (Right... I barely remember where I've known him and he's got something personal to talk to me about? Get outta here...) We even tried to fake that I had a boyfriend and discourage him... Finally, we got bored of him and just hung up....

He never called again... Which is a bit of a surprise and relief really... But I got some other strange smses...

These three came that same day... Same number... So I assume the same guy...

"Handsome, sweet, intelligent, spontaneous, good looking, nice friend, charming, funny, well........ it is enough about me, what about u?"

Good thing he didn't say humble... That would be plain lying...

"***Shuvo Noboborsho*** Faysal"

Rather nice of him to leave a name actually....

"Have gone out today..&..have u seen the setting sun, which is telling u by forver ur sorrows. Just wait for the next sun which is blessing u ***Shuvo Noboborsho***"

I know he's trying to be philosophical and poetic and all that... But I really don't understand what he's saying... Think my arty farty Nightbird could give him a pointer or two... No... An intensive course in English and Poetry is due....

I showed all my friends those smses... And they all think it's funny... Apparently, this sort of thing happens a lot over here... Jess asked if I was worried or scared or anything... I said no... The guy doesn't know me... Just my number... What's to worry about? Even if they knew my name, it just means they're resourceful... But they wouldn't be able to recognise me even if I was standing right in front of them... Besides, if they tried to make trouble, I'd get Pathshala Topu to scold them... He's really fierce...

Here's the latest one I got... On 23 April 2005 @ 1.20pm...

"Guen, 1st day I saw u on the street felt that life is beautiful. 2nd time saw u smilin with eyes of the bluest sky so knew that life is Blah.... I luv u. John"

I'm really sorry to offend 'John' but I can't help laughing everytime I read this... It's the bad english, the pathetic attempt to be romantic and poetic, the even more pathetic attempt to profess his love for a complete stranger when he got her name wrong... And the fact that I don't have blue eyes! Gee, I'm real sorry man... You got the wrong Guen...

People might think I'm weird, keeping those smses and writing about it... Truth is, I kept the smses to write about it... Not for any other weird reasons... But just to pass the joke around... I'm sure someone else will get quite a good laugh out of these too... And it's kind of interesting to see how these pranksters work... Adds a little humour to every routine day I must say...

3 Comments:

At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if it's one of your guy friends pulling these pranks by asking his friends to call and bug you? Or perhaps one of your guy friend's girlfriend, and she is jealous coz he hangs out more and work with you, and bug you. Have you thought of that? Pretty annoying, I must say.

 
At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I mean she might have asked her guy friends to bug you. anyhow,
take care

 
At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Gwyneth,

This is rajib again. Don't be scared, I don't have any "critical review" of your photography skills to offer this time. So, you can relax :) By the way, I really liked the new year pictures. I hope you will keep posting more pictures.

Looks like you have become a hot commodity in town! You must be a special girl. I am contemplating sending you SMS's myself! What's your cell :)

bye now.

--rajib

 

Post a Comment

<< Home