Monday, January 24, 2005

Heart of Gratefulness...

Stock Taking: What have I achieved in Dhaka so far?

In the work department, I don’t think I have contributed all that much… I have learnt things but I have not been about to apply my knowledge creatively yet… There’s still so much I want to learn and to see…

In living on my own, I’m still trying to adapt… It’s coming along… But very slowly… Haven’t bought enough clothes to dress like the locals yet… And my vocabulary of Bengali words is increasing at snail’s pace…

In my personal projects like… learning to play “classical gas” on my guitar… writing my own song… I have not even touched them…

But there is one thing that I definitely have grown in… And that is in trusting the Lord…

When you are in a new place and you have no where to turn to… You could do one of three things… You could become very reserved and turn inwardly… Depending on yourself, trusting in your own abilities…You could turn to depend on other people and everything you do depends on what others do or say or think of you… The last way, is to turn to God… Where in everything you do, you choose not to be afraid for no reason or you choose not to crumble under all circumstances because you have a confidence that God is taking care of you…

I chose the third way…

Since I got here, I’d been become very disciplined in waking up! I have no idea how that happened… I’d also gotten very disciplined in doing my time alone with God every day… I’m very careful that I get daily feeding on God’s Word… My room has a daily devotion calendar given by my ex core group member which I flip and read everyday… My email has daily devotionals from www.purposedrivenlife.com everyday from Monday to Friday… Every night, I’d pray in tongues and in English, read the bible, sometimes pray the bible out, listen to and sing along with the worship CDs, and even listening to the bible in audio format at times… I’d also taken time to read Christian books to supplement my daily reading of the bible…

And it has done so much good!

For one, I’d been sleeping very well… That keeps ones mind straight really…

I’d been able to hear and learn more from Him than I have ever done before… I didn’t even need to go to church to experience Him and the peace that comes from Him… All I need to do is worship Him in my own room, on my bed… God has been teaching me so much about myself and the issues in my heart and life… At times when I’d felt lonely and insecure, a little prayer and worship always perked me up…

During one of my bouts of depression, I’d mustered up all the energy I had to email two of my favourite women in church, and asked them for prayers… Soon after, I started to feel better… It wasn’t a subconscious thing… It was God… It had to be because in the midst of my email getting sent, there was a power flicker that caused the computer I was using to switch off and I never knew if that email got sent to them… I only found out when they replied… And when I was released from the depression

Sidetrack: Must also thank God for allowing me to get my sermons from church YAS (Young Adult Service) every week… I have two ladies helping me out behind the scenes… My dear miss ha has been buying sermon cds for me every week… And my own “mama” or HM would upload it onto the internet for me to download as and when I’m free to… If not for their selflessness, and their love… I would not have this added feeding every week…

I also know that God has been the one protecting me and the people around me from any possible mishaps… Once a telephone wire was hanging low across the road.. I was on the rickshaw sitting at the top… The richshaw went straight into the wire and I almost got the wire caught on my neck… But thank God that someone who was minding the wires realized what was going to happen and yanked it out of the way in time… The wire just slid up my neck… Nothing else…

The several times that we’d been out late or were walking around a dodgy place, we were always able to walk back or find a cab quickly to bring us back safely… And on top of that, none of us had gotten close to being mugged… If all that is not the grace and favour and blessing of God… I don’t know what it is…

I know that people like to look at Christians and our weaknesses and say… How can you be like that? I tot you are Christians and should be very holy & perfect? All I can say is, only God is perfect… He doesn’t require us to be perfect… Just to try to be perfect like Him… He has mercy on us and our weaknesses… And it’s a really good thing that God is so merciful and isn’t looking for perfect people to bring to heaven… cos He wouldn’t find any at all… Certainly not me… I’m just a work in progress… =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home