Sunday, January 23, 2005

Eid Special: Stuffed Gwen

I can’t sleep yet… Not on a full stomach… Just got back from my boss’ place… I think I had too many sweet desserts… It started from this morning when Rayhana (Housekeeper’s wife) gave us some desserts she had made… It was some noodle-like thingy that was brown and sweet… And had some beans in it… The other one was some orange rice and that was sweet too… That was served to us in the Pathshala common room… We never lifted a finger and got it… Then we went visiting…

We went to two places to visit… Kind of like visiting during Chinese New Year…

Sidetrack: Does every family gamble during Chinese New Year? Cos my family doesn’t… Thank goodness! Jessica was really surprised when I told her about it though… She took it for granted that every family gambles… Oh well, I used to take it for granted that every family spends Chinese New Year the way we do… No gambling… Just lots of people to visit and lots more people to visit us… And our time is spent having mature, adult conversations(ok, not me… but everyone else…) and enjoying the wonderful cooking that my mum whips up… Oh well… Guess CNY just isn’t the same for all families…

Back to the visiting we did today… One was Shalini’s friend’s place… Zaib… He stays on Sonargaon… Which is at the end of Panthapath, where we stay… They stay on the top floor of a high rise building… And mind you… They are rich! You can tell… They all look very upper class… Zaib & his parents… They carry that air of being very wealthy… But are still very hospitable and friendly…

Their place is two big apartments combined to become one… And only about 4 people stay in it… (To put things into perspective, their place is actually smaller than my home… But it’s big by Dhaka standards…) They have a young boy servant who serves us tea on a little tea dolly… How quaint is that? The whole place is quite grand... Carefully decorated with art and artifacts from all over the world… Like a hand-woven carpet of one of the famous monuments from China… (It wasn’t placed on the floor to be stepped on…It was hung on the wall…) They even have four sets of sofas in the living room…(I guess they entertain a lot) and there’s still plenty of space… On top of that, Zaib and his two older siblings were all educated in England… Rich blood…

We were served these sweet desserts… Like vermicelli in condensed milk… It was kind of nice… But I have a real problem eating anything that is too sweet… My mum altered my taste… haha! She also gave us this pasty thing which was made with molasses… Also very sweet… My tastebuds are really having a tough time adjusting to the new sugar rich environment… (Made worse by Diya who has a real sweet tooth and keeps buying these Bangladeshi sweets and cakes and offering it to all of us…)

The other place we visited was my boss Reza’s place… He stays at Old Dhaka… We had dinner there… It was all very nice! His house is way smaller than Zaib’s house… Kind of the size of Tutul’s place… But it gives a totally different feeling… In Zaib’s house, we all felt sleepy… It’s the comfy sofas and the whole yellow tinge in the décor… But in my boss’ house, they had very nice cheery coloured curtains and matching cushion covers…. And the whole place looked very homely and lived in…

Before I continue about the food we had, this die-hard romantic must give an update… We met my boss’ family and… His wife is very very beautiful!! And remember, I mentioned before that my boss is very good-looking… So they looked so good together… Like Brad Pitt & Jennifer Aniston (I heard they split up… is that true?) We saw pictures of them (my boss & his wife… not Jennifer & Brad…) when they went to Paris and Norway before they were married… They went there to work and travel a bit… They looked so loving! In the pictures and in real life… They were definitely a love marriage!! Made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside…

Here’s the best part… Lippi (My boss’ wife) is 3 months preggers! This blur girl noticed it all by herself! She asked her boss if his wife was pregnant and he was like… “She’s showing already?” I think it’s the way she tied her sari… With a bit more cloth on her tummy to protect it and keep it warm… aww... =) Jess & I agree that the baby’s gonna be a really good looking one… No matter who the baby takes after… He/she won’t go wrong in the looks department…

Now back to the food we had… Dinner was a nice yellowish rice with rezala beef curry, a fish called bwong or something, pickles made from olives or mango, and fried chicken! We were all very hungry so we ate really fast and felt so stuffed afterward…

The problem was, we hadn’t factored in the desserts… Dessert was more of the vermicelli thingy… My boss says it’s called sheemide or something…(Az… I’m expecting you to help me correct all these names… thanx!) Of all the desserts I had, I liked theirs the best… It’s sweet but not exceedingly sweet… Then there’s another version of it that doesn’t have gravy, looks a little orangy and resembles mini mee tai mak… It tastes really really nice!

By the end of the day, we were totally stuffed and got packed into a cab to head back to Pathshala… And, that is how this Eid Special came about… Stuffed Gwen… A sweet dessert…

1 Comments:

At 1:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sweet thing is : "Shemaii". I ate the same thing in Malaysia but cooked in a different way, they call it "Bihun Goreng". But, in that goreng they used to put a lot of spices, meat, shrimp etc.

The sweet rice thing u ate, is: "JARDA"

Whr is ur Boss's house in Old Dhaka? Coz, I am also from old dhaka. And, it is the place for all traditional foods. Dont leave Dhaka without eating the following:

1) Fish : "Ilish"
2) Haji Briyani
3) Chatpati/Fuchka
4) Kebab
5) Mama Halim

Thanks
Nasser

 

Post a Comment

<< Home