Wednesday, January 19, 2005

The one with the happy tidings…

Before I start, you must tell me what you think this blog is about…

A promotion? Yeah right…
A raise? I wish…
More work? Can you be more imaginative?
A new buy? Quite possible… But no…

Give up? This blog is centred around marriage! =)

No…I have NOT found myself a Bangladeshi Boyfriend and I have NOT eloped with him behind my parents’ backs, and I have NOT gotten myself pregnant with a Bangladeshi baby who will be born in Singapore when I’m in the midst of my exams…. (That one is for my dear friends back home who have the most exciting imaginations… My cousin Darren is one of them…)

And it would be nice if this blog was actually about my own sister’s wedding… But, as seeing how I have spent so little time at home lately and now know very little about her wedding plans… I figured I should leave that bit out… But I will definitely blog about her wedding in March… When I get home to broadband and price tags that don’t ever hit $100… So stay tuned for that one….

Ok… So who’s marriage are we talking about?

It’s not any particular couple actually… It’s about this trend I noticed around here… People here marry very young!!

Perhaps it’s just the people who work here… Most, if not all, of the people here in Drik are married or are married with children… No matter whether they are good-looking or not… They are all married! (And they all have very darling and good-looking children for that matter…) I’ll give a few examples… Not gonna talk about everyone in Drik, but just my favourite people…

Like my boss Reza… He’s married… Though no kids yet… He’s really suave and very good looking… Interestingly, I think he looks better now than he did a few years back… (saw some pictures).. One of the lucky few who look better as they age… (Like my daddy!)

Atiq, my friendly giant with the pleasant disposition, he’s married, and has a very handsome tall son… I have to mention tall cos the boy looks way older than he is… He takes after his dad in height… Atiq also has a darling little girl who has really cute curls and adores him to no end!

Tutul, much more senior than most of us, about 40… Married with two very young sons… They started having kids much later I guess… The younger one is only six months old! The older one, Raiyan is very chatty and friendly…

Siraj, the multimedia team leader with the Japanese wife… Guess that says pretty much everything… Except that his wife just gave birth to a 2.5kg baby boy on Monday night! He was so excited he came to office the next day with sweet desserts for everyone!

Nazrul, from library, with the nice greenish eyes… He looks very striking because of his eyes… And he's very young… He’s my Er Jie’s age… And he’s married too! His wife is only 20… So they won’t be having children until his wife finishes school…

According to my very neutral source Rajib (he’s 28 and not even close to getting married), most of the marriages here are arranged by the family…And only a few are love marriages… I dunno… I find it a strange arrangement… Arranged marriages… I know it happens… But I’m not used to that idea… Guess that comes from my upbringing in Singapore where all marriages are love marriages…

But anyway, I asked Rajib why he wasn’t married… He said it’s cos he doesn’t look good… I dun believe that… I think he looks way better than some other people in Drik (those I didn’t mention) and those people are married… I didn’t tell him that though… cos according to him, his family had tried to arrange a few marriages for him, but no girl wanted him… Ouch! Personally, I think they’re blind… He’s such a nice guy… A little on the soft spoken side… But such a sweet guy!

It’s not to say that love marriages are totally dead here…just may not be quite so popular with the older folk… Shalini’s friend Rokon, who is about 25 and working in his own little advertising firm is married… It was a love marriage and his wife’s family refused to recognize it… So his wife still stays with her family and not with him… Last I heard, I think they are going to elope! Seriously! I’m not kidding!

Oh well… As much as I love attending weddings…(They make me feel so happy for the couple and very hopeful and positive about my own in future…) I am very uncomfortable with the idea of marrying so young! I once had a really terrible nightmare, when I was here in Dhaka… I dreamt that my ex boyfriend proposed to me and I agreed to marry him…

You must be wondering why it was a nightmare… Let me explain… The person I was to marry was not my boyfriend… only a good friend… At the time, I did not have any boyfriend... So in my dream, I was preparing for my wedding… My relatives were coming to me congratulating me on my getting married and asking who it was that I was marrying! That’s quite terrible isn’t it? Then I started questioning myself… “Why am I getting married? I'm not ready to spend the rest of my life with anyone!" I even said… “Why am I getting married at 21? I’m too young to get married!”

That’s when I woke up…

I concluded a few things about that dream…
1) I should not be hasty when I get proposed to… Especially when the person proposing isn’t even my boyfriend… Even if it means being left on the shelf…
2) I must be very clear why I am getting married when I do… And know what I am getting myself into… the commitment needed is for a LIFETIME…(I’m a commitment phobe btw..)
3) I must not get married when I am still so young and have no idea what I really want… And do not even have the ability to support myself… much less a family….

Ok… So it seems like I am thinking too much about marriage… But I’m not really… It’s just that there are far too many divorces in Singapore nowadays… And I really don’t want to be another statistic… Also, you can’t help thinking a bit about it when you look around you, and the people who should be studying in school with you, are married too… Hmm… Still can’t imagine any of my classmates getting married….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home