Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Yet another slacker leeching Dhaka's precious resources...

Bangla Lesson #3
Abat Decka Hobit - See you later

Seriously... I think I'm a real leech... Bummer like.... Then again... I was always one...

Jess is in the photo library department... And they're really busy cos they are cataloging the entire photo library... Dun get me wrong... They aren't like so busy that they aren't getting time to rest... Tea breaks are a total must in Drik... It's just that they have some work to do... and from what Jess says... it's really really boring... repetitive and mundane... Good point: She gets to see a lot of photos... Not sure if she remembers them though cos i think she seemed a little numb when i visited her....

And what have I been doing?? Yes... that is the question... Ans: Absolutely nothing... Ok... I'm in the publication department... And they haven't been doing anything either... Atiq promised to show me how to maintain digital photos... but he hasn't got any pictures to maintain... He's just checking mail and playing computer games... Reza said he'd let me try to do layout... for a cover of a calendar... but that day, the computers weren't cooperating so he couldn't download the pictures from his thumbdrive...

Normally, when that happens, I'd troop into Multimedia department... Talk to and learn Bangla from Rajib, surf the internet, check my email, maintain my blog, and chat on MSN.... Or, I'd wander around on my own taking pictures of Drik... Finished 2 rolls so far... (guess what.. the developing shop is just outside Pathshala where I stay... and it's Drik property...)

That was what I did today too... But then, I did end up talking to Tutul about the budgeting job he has from Chobi Mela, and to Abir (excellent photographer) about his wife (who came to visit today) and son... Then later on, Abir invited me to go sit in on the fashion shoot at the studio later that day.... While waiting for the models and clients to come, I had the privilege of getting to see Abir's photos... Fantastic work btw...

In one of them, two men were burying a small child who died during a flood..The child was placed on a cane raft, wrapped in burial clothes, and put on the river cos the parents had no dry land to bury the child... That one made me cry... There were others that made me smile... Pictures from a Miss World Pageant that was organised and held in a village... the contestants were the little girls in the village... and there were ppl like Miss Norway, Miss Australia etc... haha! Hilarious... The girls got all dolled up with make up, henna, and saris... very cute...

Then the clients came along... There was this male model who was super confident of himself... (really egotistic)... He looked really good... eye candy like... The outfits really looked quite good on him i must say... But then Topu and I started joking that he didn't really have a lot of poses... always looked the same way and stood the same way... There was this really lovely sari that this female model was wearing... She was quite pretty and that helped it too i guess... (Jess and I decided that we are not going home until we have our own lovely saris... and of cos lots of nice tees from here... really cheap...)

When I got sleepy in the studio, I went to the Gallery... There's a new exhibition that opened today... And the press was there... I was just lingering outside when Topu got me to go in... Before I knew it, the cameraman was filming me looking at the pictures and hearing explanations from Nazrul... Talk about sabo! I think i'm gonna be on the 1030pm news...

Here's the thing... Jess wasn't around much cos she had to do her work at Library... (Dun think she's seen the exhibition yet... and she couldn't stick around much for the photo shoot....) While I had the freedom to roam around the place and see what everyone else was doing.... So, although I didn't really get any work done... For a slacker like myself, I feel I've done quite a bit today... (My sisters are not gonna like this)

But still... Hope I can figure out something for myself to do soon... Before I really rot....

Just a little titbit... No one here calls me Yixin, or Xin, or Gwyneth... Those were way too difficult for them to grasp.... I'm Gwen over here... (No offence to the real Gwen).. and even that's a bit difficult... I get called Gwon or Goan or something equally horrendous.... But everyone remembers Jessica's name... So jealous! haha! Oh well... Just a little gripe...

Abat Decka Hobit!

3 Comments:

At 10:40 AM, Blogger escada said...

hey gal! Xinyi here..(your ex neighbour, in case there's too many xinyi-s) how ya doing? sounds like you are not receiving as much work as you would like to have.. geez... take care of yourself k~! will drop by yr blog again!

^^

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger - Emptiness - said...

Xinyi? haha.... Isn't that what all your nephews and nieces will call u in future xin? haha... Anyway, I finally understand how come ur blog entries are so damn long -- you have far far too much free time! ARGH!!!! Bummer! I can't lose to you! *pengz* Anyway, do something more constructive eh... like sending to my gmail that photo u promised, or il mare track 2, which I've yet to receive... =P

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger thebemusedphotog said...

dude... i already sent you track 2... came with 7... anyway.. the photo i'll send it soon....=P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home