Thursday, February 03, 2005

Window of R & R

How does one start on a topic like this? Ok... I got it...

I'm slacking now...

I know it's not much of a surprise or anything... but actually, it's a very calculated period of rest... Allow me to explain...

The photography workshop with Jack Picone started yesterday... He showed us his work on the AIDS patients in Thailand, a very stigmatized group of people... After that presentation, he gave us our first assignment... Take 5 images of the Buriganga River... My group, consisting of Bjorn and Kakoli, went down at about 3 to take a look at the surroundings and start taking pictures... We spend the whole afternoon and evening there... Only reached back at Pathshala at 8.30pm... I sent my film for processing and was contemplating going down to the river in the morning before 6am and again at 3pm...

But I decided not to go in the morning...

For several reasons... (besides not wanting to wake up so early)

My first trip down to the river had not been a very successful one... I had taken a lot of pictures... 4 rolls to be exact... But I didn't know what to expect or what my story was going to be about... I felt I needed time to regroup... Get back my negatives from Chitroshala... Look at what I had taken and where I want to go from there...

My group was not going to the river together... So if I were to go down, I would be joining people from other groups... That would not be much of a problem but the river is very long and those groups might not be going to the same places I went to take pictures... It would be an opportunity for me to see more of the river... But I wasn't sure I wanted that... It would be another trip of discovery just like the previous trip... And it would be a waste of even more film and would tire me out for the trip down to the river in the evening...

I wasn't comfortable with the camera I used yesterday... I borrowed a camera from Pathshala... It was quite ok but I was not familiar with it... So I decided I wanted to use my own camera... The lens came back just fine! I just needed to borrow a filter from Topu...(I can't buy it because of the hartal...) and he could only be able to bring it down to Pathshala at about noon...

Then there are the advantages of not going in the morning...

There's more time to shoot in the evenings... Hopefully, with time to look at my pictures, I'd be better organised for my second trip... I wouldn't be so tired too... And of cos, with the free time I have now... I can blog, check my emails, iron my new tops, and do the research for my reportage... With opportunity costs like that, staying in today was the obvious choice...

Yeah I know... I'm a lazy bugger... "Allosh"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home