Friday, January 07, 2005

Scent of familiarity...

Playing in Background - Some Bengali Movie
Screams of a woman being tortured...
A powerful woman enters and shuts up the torturers.
Dramatic music
Cutaway
It is the sinister-looking bad guy! With big hair!
Powerful woman fights him... Loses!
Next enters macho man in red leather sleeveless suit
Argues with sinister man... (Hello?? Start fighting already!!)

Familiar? Not to me... I mean, I can't even understand a word they are saying! I'm just trying to keep myself from trashing the show in front of Alamin, who is obviously enthralled by the show. Fine, I'm not a big fan of Indian or Bengali films... "So sue me"... (But give me a chance ah... Jess Shalini and I are gonna watch Bride and Prejudice tonight...)

So what is familiar around here? Let me put things into context for you Little Island Dwellers..

How about the fried rice Peter made for our lunch today... It smelled totally like our hainanese chicken rice! Last night we had some kind of chicken stew... Jess said it smelt like the kind of dish her mother makes... The cool local snack fushka reminded me of our kweh pie tie... It's an egg shaped shell. They smash a hole at the top and put in mash potatoes mixed with onions and some other stuff... You eat it by drizzling a sour sauce over it and stuffing the whole thing into your mouth.. (Ok, maybe that last bit is just for me..)

The pirated DVD shops here are like those the Nightbirds frequent whenever we go JB. Only these come in proper cases. Talk about service ok. Each disc is Tk90. or S$3. I bet Ivan is drooling already. And the layout of the shopping centre was a bit like queensway.

When we went to Rifles ... A shopping centre... We saw a cool shop that only sells white and black stuff...Clothes mainly... Ok, so they lied... They sold silver stuff as well! If you have known me long enough... You would know of my first hotmail account... blackwhitesilver... There was one little corner that sold the ornaments... And for the moment when I stood at that corner, I felt at home again... (I'm a silver ornament collector...btw) Too bad there was nothing for me to buy... I even felt the familiar boredom from being in a shopping centre with no silver shop or other worthwhile shop to visit. (Sheesh... I tried not to be a nuisance by trying to look around.. But I really couldn't stop the yawning...)

But the one familiar thing that really caught my eye (actually my nose, rather) was the smell I smelt when i was walking along the street of Pathshala. Shalini and Jess and I were looking for a DVD rental shop. That's where we got our Bride and Prejudice. It was a smelt that was locked into my brain for eternity have being subjected to it time and time again in large doses. It was not a smell I enjoyed, but willingly I allowed myself to breathe it in. It was the sacrifice I made, to experience something even more desirable(dubious eh? read on..)!!! Sometimes, I'd smell it twice a week, but usually it was much more. Especially during the last semester!!!!

What was it? Hold your noses cos it was..... [drum roll]

MARK'S CAR AIR FRESHENER SCENT!!!!!!!

"What?? You mean that's it? Why did you ask us to hold our noses for?"

Well, cos it's really not that fantastic a smell... But as all fresheners go... It does it's job... Useful for when the male counterparts of the Nightbirds have been standing around under the hot sun (why they wanna do that, I have no idea...), or if they've been busy helping the only weak and innocent and gentle female counterpart of the Nightbirds to move out of her hostel. (Which she does every semester.. and dun forget the moving in too)... You will be very grateful for ANY kind of freshener...

But, allow me to get back to my point.

The moment I smelt that car scent, I started to recall the fond(and not so fond) memories of the Nightbird. Just to set the record straight... I had absolutely nothing to do with that name. I dunno which one of the two male counterparts of the Nightbirds came up with it. It's supposed to be like one of those car gangs in Initial D (of which we are all big fans)... Somehow we just ended up with a name which is really not cool... But what I do know is, I got stuck with it unwittingly, and I was even coerced into using the strange, but rather cute, logo that our arty farty counterpart came up with using msn icons.

So, Nightbirds. Consists of three members: The driver and perpetual treater(he doesn't offer.. we have to make him do it.. i mean, of cos he has to do it.. he's the only one with $$ to spare!) Mark! His sexy silver civic (new car. old one was red & equally sexy), knowledge of car parts, cars on the road and even the drivers of each car makes us a total shoo-in as a car gang... Even makes up for this particular clueless member who just likes driving... The last member, and the tallest, is Ivan. Affectionately known as "sidekick" by my sisters. He's the poetic, literary one. Been getting pretty emotional and sensitive and all that lately... It's the arts influence, I tell you... Specifically, the arts people (think about it... arts is what? 75% female... and Ivan is straight... Know what I'm getting at?)

Nightbird activity: (FYI, we dun fly or chirp around and peck at worms) We go out at night for a drive in Mark's sexy car (Esp. Ivan's favourite.. KCKW), go watch a DVD at Mark's home, or watch Initial D at my hall... But most importantly, we partake of our most dubious desirable activity... drink tehping... Sometimes at Fong Seng... Actually no... Most of the time at Fong Seng. We did this for a whole semester. As soon as one of us was bored at home, Mark would pick us up, and the Nightbirds would be on their way.

It's been a while since we had a Nightbird gathering... Miss the guys actually. They're quite cool... (Sometimes...) After smelling that car scent, I really wish I could call up Mark and that he could drive up to my door, with Ivan in the front seat. I would climb into the back seat, sit specifically behind Ivan so that I can torture him.. We'd drive around town, sometimes trying to play with the tiong cars on the streets, other times trying to hide from the Fuzz, but most of the time drinking our Tehping and crapping at the coffeshop (Ivan and I have a habit of torturing each other at times... then Mark has to step in... Other times, we share secrets and hid it from Mark till he gets annoyed...) We'd stay there till we got tired and needed to go home cos there's school the next day... And the Nightbirds would return to their nests...

Now... That's familiar...

Anyway, if you're curious about how that Bengali movie ended... Last time I checked, the sinister bad guy with the big hair breathes his last breath and dies. The hero is the man in the red leather sleeveless suit. But even he has been injured in the sword fight and falls dramatically to the ground (with the dramatic background music of cos). Then the women from everywhere (those tortured by the sinister bad guy with the big hair) run to him and surround him and tell him not to die.

What kind of an ending is that? Oh well... At least Alamin liked it..

1 Comments:

At 9:09 PM, Blogger - Emptiness - said...

Reminicense of old times..... haha.... I miss the teh ping, and the tokking nonsense.... Get back quick! I'm sure mark won't mind givin a treat again.... with a bit of coersion that is.... haha....

Where will we be,
Aft six months we’ll see.
United as one,
Or scattered and done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home