Monday, February 07, 2005

Birthday? Whatever…

Someone left me a rose on my door…

Seriously! I have no idea who did it… But it could be anyone from Pathshala… They’re all a bunch of jokers… It could be Sumon who calls me “Dadi”(or Grandmother), Murad & Danny who think I’m preggers (it’s just the fat..), Topu who’s ridiculous or Mumit who’s good at looking innocent while making fun of you… the poker face type… Could even be one of the quiet ones like Kabir…

But that’s just one of the nice things that happened to me…

I got several very sweet e-cards, emails, smses and MSN msgs from home wishing me happy birthday… My SB sent me a sms with a picture that says “I brought a flower for your birthday”… Maybe the rose came from her?

Here’s a funny incident… One of my guy friends, who didn’t realize that I was overseas, called me and wanted to send a cake over to me… I told him that the cake wouldn’t make it… Cos I am in Bangladesh and it takes over 2 weeks for any parcel to arrive… He asked me if I was kidding… I’m sure the readers of Whisper know better…

The Norwegians sang me a Norwegian birthday song during class… It is the funniest birthday song I ever heard! Loved it… Especially their expressions while they were singing… Think they were enjoying themselves springing this surprise song on me… I’m making a recording of it before I go home…

Kakoli, my "ma" in Pathshala, bought me a birthday cake… and I cut it cake on my own bed… With Jess, Kakoli, Rajiv (Pathshala one), Lars and Murad… It’s a really nice chocolate cake… Better than most of the cakes I’ve eaten so far… My “ma” has good taste in cake…

Syeed (actually I discovered the correct spelling is “Sayed”) from multimedia dropped by Pathshala and asked me if I wanted to have dinner! I was surprised that he remembered… So I went for dinner with Sayed, Jess, Lars and Rajiv… Had a beef kebab roll at La Bamba…

The rest of the evening was just quiet… Spent it chatting with Rajiv and Jess (poor Lars had a tummyache…) And I liked it that way…

Sure, birthdays are special days, but it’s not good to make everyone do everything you want just because it’s your birthday… Like dictating where I want to go, where I want to eat, what I want to do… That’s just selfish… I was quite contented with surprise smses and Norwegian birthday songs… Didn’t want everyone to have to pander to me…

In fact, it seems wrong to want so much attention… I don’t even feel any different from yesterday… It could just be another day… So I’m now 22 and well into adulthood… But I don’t need too much fanfare and such… Think an age is not something you turn into… It’s something you grow into… I don’t become 22 because it’s my birthday… I become 22 when I experience another year of challenges and experiences… In fact, on my 22nd birthday, I felt I’d finally become 21… The new age tag 22… is just the beginning of my stage of my life where I will become 22…

I’m not sure if I make any sense now… But the gist is… Birthdays are really nice to have… Presents and cakes and things are nice too… The most important thing however, is how you are going to live the year when you are 22… And who are the people you are going to know and love and bless in this year… It’s been nice being 21…At the start of adulthood and all… Made some new friends… Made some old friends… Learnt a little more, grew a little more… I’m sure I’m more mature than when I was 20…

I can’t wait to see what 22 is going to bring…

1 Comments:

At 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, did you find out who left you the rose?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home