Wednesday, March 09, 2005

International Women's Day

8th March... International Women's day...

Never knew there was such a thing before. Jess thinks it's cos women in Singapore are liberated enough to not need to celebrate such a day... She doesn't believe in anything that further segregates the sexes. Could be a political thing too... Doubt the Singapore Government wants any Feminist event/riot/demonstration coming into to cause any ruckus in our peaceful little island country. Disrupts the business going ons you see...

But I'm not in Singapore... I'm in Bangladesh... And over here, it's a huge deal... At least in Drik...

All the women in Drik were told to wear Saris on that day because my Big Boss' wife was apparently having a party on the rooftop that day... I didn't feel like it... Just wore my favourite pink Salwar Kameez and wore a matching tip on my forehead... (the tip was a concession already...).. Jess didn't even have a Sari... So we were 2 little oddballs...

And that party thing? Not quite what I expected...

It was an exhibition of photographs taken by many renowned female photographers... followed by a performance/speech/prize presentation on the rooftop of Drik... The photos were quite nice... Not all of them were good... Jess & I had a sneak preview before the official opening so we didn't have to squeeze with the crowds... The performance/speech/prize presentation thing was boring... It was in Bangla and the roof was a little warm... Plus, there was a huge pillar blocking my view... We left early to have cha at Drik Cafe...

So that's Women's Day for you... Think the saddest thing I thought that day, was about the word "emancipation", term used to describe the liberation of women. For women to be free, they are to become more like men! I thought the liberation of women should be for them to be released to be as womenly as they wish... Not beat men at their own game... That's not liberating women... That's oppressing men... hmmm

Ok... Not sure what I'm saying... It's the middle of the workday... After lunch... And I'm feeling sleepy... Ami ghom pach chey...

2 Comments:

At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting! International Women's Day! Here in the West, it is also not a big deal. I liked your observation about 'women being more like men.' Isn't that what feminism 'preaches'? Don't you have some feminists people at Drik. What do they think about your observation and opinions? It would be interesting to know what an an acitivist organization think about it. Let me know. I think women feminists or men feminists in the 'third world' countries like Bangladesh simply copy Western feminism/feminists and aren't very creative-- don't really have their own minds to come up with their own ways of doing things.
I agree with you, by the way.

 
At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What also bothers me about the entire thing at your workplace is how "they told" all the women to wear sari on this particular day. Doesn't that conflict with the theme of the day? Who are "they"? The administrators, the boss-- mostly likely men? I'm now really angry. You should point this out to them. :)

ciao

 

Post a Comment

<< Home