Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Living Up Dhaka NightBird Style!

A Night Bird will always be a Night Bird no matter where that Night Bird might be… Why do I say that? I find myself always wanting to go out at night… Used to be easier with Mark & Ivan… I didn’t quite know where to go over here and what time places close… On top of that, there’s no car to get around in… Just a lot of rickshaws that never want to go where you want to go… Otherwise, they wouldn’t go there for the price that you want…

Despite that, I have found that it is possible to be a Night Bird in Dhaka… I started out by bringing along a trusty local who thinks everywhere is safe… Topu… And no wonder for him… He’s excellent at making snide or sarcastic remarks to people who pester him… while still smiling… Ouch… But you know, when someone dares to say that everywhere is safe, hanging out becomes a mission to see exactly how he keeps the muggers at bay… (useful talent)

We went to New Market to look around one night… I love all the stuff they sell… Stationery, toys, clothes, books, cutlery, household items… It’s like a gigantic open air shopping centre… I bought a lovely little something for my mother… I just know that she would love it…

Once the Norwegians had a party and we went over to their guesthouse… We had such a great time chatting that we didn’t leave until after one… Afterwhich, Jess, Topu, Mumit and I squeezed into one rickshaw to go back to Pathshala… The roads were very nice and peaceful…

On several other occasions, we just hired a rickshaw and went around sightseeing… I went to Old Dhaka and around Kalabagan area at night already… I remember seeing the stars in sky… There was so many of them… I leaned back on the rickshaw to look at them properly… The bumping of the rickshaw going over the bumps on the road just added to the whole mood…

But there's just something about going around on your own that doesn't quite cut it when you are out with other people... So Jess & I have started venturing out on our own too... We went to the book market last night and had a look around... Too bad we couldn't stay long because of a power cut...

In fact, I'm bringing my sister to New Market tonight! Think it's going to be very fun indeed... She promised to shop for clothes for me... Cos I don't have enough clothes and I don't have the time to get more...

I expect Jess & I will be going out on our own more often because it was so fun... Besides, Topu's perspective of Dhaka at night has rubbed off on us... And I'm sure the two of us can handle anything that might come our way... With our improved command of the language and our greater familiarity with the roads and back alleys...

I’m the most excited about it… It's real Nightbird activities… Once we find ways to fit drinking cha in...

3 Comments:

At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting.

 
At 10:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which Topu do you go out with at night ? Drik or Pathshala?

 
At 10:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's kind of confusing. From now on will you specify the character's or the names or phsycial features. so we know about whom you are talking about.
thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home