Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Reflections by the Moon

Ok… I finally decided on what I love best about the power cuts here…

I love the shadows cast by the moon…

It’s the only time you realize how bright the moon can be… And the shadows cast are very very gentle… Kind of having someone looking tenderly and loving down at you…

Yes, I’m a Christian… So, no prizes for guessing who I might be talking about…

But I’m not just talking about Jesus… It’s like your mother or father coming into your room to check on you when you are sleeping… My mother did it when I was very small… She still does it too… I like to peek at her from under the blankets… She always looked so loving and gentle… I wonder how many times a week she does that now… And look at my empty bed… (Ok… Not quite empty… My sisters and I have a habit of throwing the next day’s clothes and every other conceivable junk on any empty space around… And in this case, it’s my bed…)

I’m sure she goes up to my loft at times too… I left a little voice message on a photo frame for my family to listen… Even left a little globe so that they can see where I am… Think my new souvenirs should have got there already… I have a nice silver miniature rickshaw and a small sized pot, with a cover, that the locals use to cook… (My parents should be glad that I only brought home a miniature rickshaw… One of the Norwegians, Magnus, is buying home a full sized one… It costs Tk8,000 - Tk10,000 I heard… I wonder how much hassle it’s gonna be to ship it back… The postage service here is… well… scary…)

Yeap… A power cut is the perfect time to reflect on things that have been happening all this while… (Also, it’s a good thing the power cut came after American Idol… The girls were really good and very pretty! But I like the song Bo Bice sang yesterday… It was ringing in my head this morning… “Give me the beat, boys, and free my soul. I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away.”)

My presentation of my reportage is over now… The Q&A was mild cos my topic was not quite as controversial as some others… Transsexuals and street families and limited access areas got a lot of rap… Abir and Per (the Norwegian teacher) all thought I had improved a lot in two weeks… That felt nice to hear…

Things with Noyon are really good… Sometimes I’m too tired to be all rowdy and boisterous… And he comes to me in a very quiet and mild manner… Like he knows I’m tired… He would speak to me very politely and ask me for my guitar or my laptop or something… It’s very very adorable…

Just yesterday, he came into my room, and asked to play with my guitar… I took it out for him, sat him down on the bed with it… and he strummed it and sang some songs… I sat next to him… cheered him as he sang… and folded my clothes… Once he was done, he gave it back without any fuss…. Wow!

Perhaps it’s because I gave him a bear when my sister arrived with 5… (He keeps coming to my room to see all the other bears I have left, but I remind him he already has one… I think he wants the other bears to keep his company… He wanted to keep his in my room once too…) I’d also been giving him sweets when I remember… He allows me to hug him and carry him now… Sometimes I can sit him on my lap and teach him to write G… the start of Gwen… He doesn’t have the patience to finish the full name…

Ok… He’s still very much a kid even with those quiet moments… Once when he was sitting on my bed, he spotted some sweets my sister left on the table… (Mind you, it isn’t all that near…) He pointed for it… I thought he wanted to play with the laptop and said no… He got off the bed, went to the table and pointed out the sweets… I gave it to him… And he willingly said “thank you” in bangla! Normally I gotta force him to say it before I give him anything…

Here’s one more thing… He likes Schnauzzer… My stuffed toy dog that looks exactly like the real one… Only cuter… I brought it from Singapore and he’s my companion for the nights… Noyon found him one day and liked him a lot… But Noyon knows Schnauzzer is my toy and that he cannot do any damage to it… He would come, find Schnauzzer and hug it… Sometimes he makes Schnauzzer lick my face… Other times he makes Schnauzzer lick his own face… But I would take it back from him after a short while and pretend that Schnauzzer was sleepy… Then Noyon would help me tuck Schnauzzer to sleep… and then creep around my room so as not to wake it up…

It’s a very popular dog I tell you… Both male members of the Nightbirds offered to take care of it for me while I was in Dhaka… They love it… Even made me bring it along when we all went West Coast Macs to study… And they played with it there! In Public! But I disappointed them by telling them Schnauzzer was coming with me… My sister, who’s getting married, was sad to hear I was bringing Schnauzzer along… She kept insisting that there wouldn’t be any room for it… Yeah right… And everytime I had cell in my room, the girls would play with it… It’s the most loved stuff toy dog I’ve ever had I think… And the most well traveled one too… coming with me to Dhaka… I’m sure it needs a bath badly cos this place is dusty…But I can’t bear not having him around for a night…

Ok, enough about the dog…

Just today, I found another lovely place to hang out in my area… It’s called café mango and is very near Pathshala… A ten minute walk max… And it’s very lovely and quaint… Rather bohemian and rustic… They played jazz… And they serve excellent cuppuccino and brownies! I’m going there with my book one day… Maybe on those days when I really dunno what to do with myself or feel really miserable… (I find I get more of those when I’m stressed out)

All I can say is, I’m glad that the reportage is over… I’m going for the presentations tomorrow with no stress… (Other people are presenting…) I’m planning to wear my nice bright pink salwar kameez… The whole thing… with the trousers and all… Maybe even wear my silver bangles… Also, I tried to do some impulse shopping at Banglar Mela on the way back from the place I go to get my negs scanned... I was Tk20 short of buying a nice blue top… The shop was nice… They’re holding it for me so I can just go back to buy it tomorrow… But that really changes the whole concept of impulse buying…

Oh well…

The lights just came on again… Reflection time over…

1 Comments:

At 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Blog about free dvd movie player. I also have a Blog/Website about free dvd movie player which is why I enjoyed this blog so much. Keep up the excellent work! Check out my site if you have a moment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home