Monday, February 21, 2005

DEADLINE

1 reportage, 2 weeks, 13 rolls of film, tons of takas spent processing film, getting contact prints, getting prints and reprints, several hours spent writing and rewriting… And I finished with 6 photos and five pages for my report…

Am I happy with my work? Not completely… But I don’t totally detest it either… Perhaps it could have been better if I could redo the scans, or perhaps have a few more rewrites of my text and captions…. Thing is, for all the things that had gone wrong the night before, I think it was a pretty good work.

First things first… I was stood up by the founder of Surovi… I made an appointment with her a few days before… woke up early to meet her… and she never came… Good thing I found the girls that I usually talk to in school… I spent time with them at school then went with all of them to visit one of the girl’s homes…. But while I was out, something bad happened…

I had sent some pictures to be scanned by one of the drik ladies, Molly. I gave her my final edit with some extras. But it turned out that I was only supposed to give my final edit and my big boss found out… He wanted to help me edit but they realized I was not around… I got scolded by Joseph for submitting too many pictures when I got back.

Was totally devastated cos I didn’t want to delay Molly’s work or make her do too much. I actually went around moping and feeling guilty… I started talking too fast and that’s when Danny and Drik Topu had to come and console me… Even my big boss noticed that I was upset and gave me a hug to comfort me… (That was really cool! He’s a very fatherly figure in Pathshala and now I understand why…)

I was running around like mad yesterday… My big boss finally helped me to edit my story. He helped me choose the final 6 pictures… I would have liked a few more and I didn’t like two pictures that got chosen… But they made sense as a story so I left it at that… Problem was, 1 of the 6 was not in the list of pictures that Molly was to scan for me…

I had to go down to Ambrosia to meet Bjorn who was helping me with my photoshop work. But I couldn’t do that until I’d scanned the extra picture and the negatives came back from Molly only at seven. Turned out, all of Molly’s scans had terrible scratches and dust particles. That made it difficult for photoshop…

While I was at Ambrosia, I discovered that one of the pictures that Molly scanned was not the one that I chose… She had scanned a similar one that was not as nice… I had to get a ride on Danny’s bike to get back to Pathshala to scan it. More trouble there. I tried using the scanner but I didn’t get the right settings and the scans came out too small… Before I could get a good scan, Mothi came to close the room. I had to get Danny to bring me to his office Ikon Photo, (very near Drik and very closely affliated as well.) Then I finally got the picture scanned…

And it was back to Ambrosia to get the photoshop work done. Bjorn was a total darling… He was really helpful… If not for him, I would not have finished my pictures quite so quickly…I owe him some good chocolate for his work though… Once the photos were done, it was midnight… And I took a rickshaw back on my own…

~The following is Noyon’s typing. He came in midway while I was writing this and wanted to add his two cents worth~
Vbcv vx c vc fcfcfttghuity890-=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]ASDFGHJKL;’PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII 9IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBNVBXCB
~End of Noyon’s typing~

Back at Pathshala, I had to do all my writing… It was quite ok except for the fact that I was falling asleep and I’d started experiencing a terrible tummyache… I managed to stay up and finish my story and captions at about 5.30am… But I couldn’t take it after that… I had a method report to hand up and I was only half done… Jess made me go and sleep and promised me to give me a morning call at 8am…

~More of Noyon’s typing~
gglkfvihrfvihyfycfroiwoieoiowewieowdeueyuui8 fur8ffuryuffufyuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudsdddddddddddddddddddddddh b x bbbcbxbnnmmmmmxxxzzzcccvvvvbbbbnnnmmm m nm
~Truly the last of Noyon’s typing~

It was the strangest sleep I ever had. All the things that I’d done and thought about that evening were swimming around in my head… I even had the vaguest idea that I’d woken up already… But then I heard Jess knocking on my door and woke up… Again… So the first one was just a dream.

I continued working at 8am and managed to finish everything by 10.30am… 1½hrs before the deadline… Mind you, I’m a real procrastinator and I was not used to finishing my work way before the deadline… Yes, 1½ hrs before deadline is very early for me… I usually finish 10mins before, or hand up my work late… So the effect of ending early was that I started worrying that something would go terribly wrong before noon… I was actually very reluctant to hand up the work that early… I just sat around waiting for someone to tell me that there was something seriously wrong with my work… Waiting for the other shoe to fall…

Don’t ask me why I felt that way… It was so bad that I felt it way after I handed up my work… I handed up at 11.40am… Probably because of Joseph’s scolding yesterday… Anyway, when I handed up my work, Joseph was all… “Thank you thank you thank you!” It was in a nice manner… Everyone else had not finished their work you see… And Joseph was under a lot of pressure… Felt quite sorry for him…

In the end, nothing terribly wrong turned up… Just that I’m not too happy with my edit… Abir chose an edit for me that I liked better… When I can muster up the patience to do some uploading, I’ll upload all the different edits… There’re four completely different versions…

So what’s gonna happen to the people I met at the school? Well, I’m planning to visit them when I’m free… Will be giving them some photos I took… The Director asked for them and offered to pay me back for it! I have a few home visits to make that I pushed to after my submission… Figured that I wouldn’t have the time before… Also hope that I won’t forget their names…I have trouble remembering names… "nam muney tagbe na"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home