Wednesday, February 09, 2005

A visit to the Armenian Church

The irony of the whole thing… The only Armenian in the entire church and in the entire Dhaka is the father of the church… I dunno… can you really call an Armenian church an Armenian church when no one who goes there is Armenian?

Oh welll it’s been there for the longest time… That’s why it still stands… in the middle of old Dhaka… Opposite to the building that Topu used to live in… It’s his favourite place in the world (the church… not the building…) so he brought Mumit and I there to visit…

Churches always give me a very peaceful feeling… Even with all the graves around in this one… Could I call it the Peace of God? I don’t know… It was a very pretty church though... With a bell tower and the whole place nicely painted beige... A very traditional looking place... With lots of detail on the walls...

A few things struck me as I went to visit this church… There was one epitaph that had the most touching poem written on it… I copied it down for the blog… It was the grave of a man who died when he was only 24… and his fiancé erected the epitaph…

“As I loved him, so I miss him
In my memory, he is near
Loved, Remembered, Longed for always
Bringing many a silent tear”


This was the first part… It’s the second part that I love…

“Weep not for me my sweetheart dear
I am not dead but sleeping here
I was not yours but Christ’s alone
He loved me best and took me home.”


Another grave had the famous verse from Job… (Don’t ask me how I remembered that it was from Job… Think God brought remembrance of it to me the moment I read it)

“The Lord hath gave and the Lord hath taken away.
Blessed be the Name of the Lord.”


This one struck me… It takes so much faith to trust God in times of diffculty and problems! I took the opportunity to explain to Mumit and Topu what it meant… Even the story of Job… Mumit loves this verse… Topu loves the epitaph that I wrote earlier…

The last thing that touched me was inside the chapel… Been reading about the building of the Tabernacle of God in Exodus… And in the chapel… There’s one area where I was not allowed to step in… Like the holy of holies… Looking at all the utensils and things, I remembered the bronze and silver and gold mentioned in the Bible to build all the utensils for the Lord…

I suddenly felt a real respect for the place… so it’s Catholic and it has pictures of the last supper and of the crucifixion… (I’m vehemently against idolatry and anything that might cause people to worship man-made things…) But then… They really love God and Jesus his son… That counts for something…Their faith… Their obedience to the Word…

And seriously, stepping into that place has made me feel better than I have in weeks… Like a part of me feels at home… Topu asked me if I’d go back there… I said I would… Perhaps the Lord will speak to me more the next time too! =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home